Tuesday 4 August 2015

Vionett - Queen of bias; where did I go wrong

I know what is bias. I've closely seen how cloth is hand woven, done it myself on the loom. My husband comes from Paramakudi where the main source of income is hand weaving.
When you see how cloth is woven you understand how bias works, why there is no stretch on lengthwise grain and some on cross and lots on bias. A representation is below

What is bias, cross wise grain and lengthwise grain

What is bias, cross grain and lengthwise grain


I made a bias skirt (self drafted) on muslin and it looked great, well almost..

Self drafted Bias skirt

Self drafted bias skirt

DIY skirt


I used the same pattern and made the same using faux suede and everything went downhill.. I did staystitch immediately after cutting, no idea how it stretched out.

Bias Skirt Stretch

Any help?

Bias skirt stretched out issue

Bias waist stretched out

I've been learning a lot about bias ever since I made the gathered circle skirt for my daughter -

gathered circle skirt

You can see on the sides how it has stretched out. One things for sure - whoever said circle skirts are easy are just lying.

An excellent video here on bias -
How much gravity has to do with bias - Its such an interesting watch .
We would think of bias as given, but so much thought has gone into it before it has come into textbooks

Madeleine Vionnet- Queen of bias cut - inspiration for designers like Chanel, Lagerfield, Valentino








And here is an excellent file for keeps on bias. A little over the head for me at the moment for its for keeps.. slowly one I'll get the grips to it -

45 degree magic 

Enjoy!
Preethi.


If you enjoyed reading this you can either like my facebook page to get all updates and more or you can opt to receive posts via email. Don't forget to activate your subscription though!

17 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe how different the two skirts fit. I'm not familiar with dress making, but I know that bias seams and cuts really make a huge difference in quilting. You've shared really interesting info for sewists!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Preeti, I'm learning a lot about bias these days and honestly the more I learn bias only scares me more... One day :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Preeti, it seems you have a sewing gnome chugging out all those wonderful outfits :-)
    I think the problem is the faux suede and how it feeds under the presser foot. try a teflon foot or tape some masking tape under the foot and also tape some on the underside of the seam allowance and sew a 4" swatch. measure it again and see if it has stretched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madeleine Vionett! I remember studying about her awesome bias designs made on dolls... One of my favourite designers! Nice post, dear!

    Sindhu
    https//:varnatantu.wordpress.com
    https//:Sindhudevik.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. The information which you have given is really awesome http://www.gradefashions.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this website. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's challenging to get that "perfect balance" between usability and visual appeal. I must say you have done a awesome job with this. Also, the blog loads very fast for me on Safari. Exceptional Blog! robes de no

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt hiện nay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include.

    lawn collection

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

    lawn suits

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.

    summer lawn collection

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work

    pakistani wedding dresses

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

    t shirts design

    ReplyDelete

  12. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.
    t shirts for men

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks!

    baby girl dresses

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.

    girls dresses

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.

    bridal dresses

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...